|Coralie Franklin Cook House (c. 1885-1886)|
corner of Columbia and Fillmore, Camp Hill
Coralie Franklin Cook was a professor of English at Howard University and chair of the Department of Oratory. She also founded the School of Expression at the Washington Conservatory of Music. Her mother, Mary E. Franklin, ran a boarding house in Harpers Ferry. Her sister, Mary Franklin married JR Clifford, one of the leaders of the Niagara Movement.
Coralie Franklin Cook was a graduate of Storer College (1880) and later a teacher (1882-1893) at Storer College. She married George Cook, a professor and dean at Howard University. Coralie was heavily involved in civic affairs in Washington, D.C. including belonging to the DC Colored Women’s League, serving on the DC Board of Education, and was one of the founding members of the National Association of Colored Women (1896).
The house may have been constructed in 1885-1886. Coralie Franklin Cook may have purchased the property in 1884 from Storer College(?). George William and Coralie Franklin Cook owned the property until 1918.
Harpers Ferry Historic District (2010 Survey)
509 Fillmore Street
Italianate house. Daily Funeral Home. Stucco exterior, asphalt shingle roof, and rubblestone foundation. Two story house has a center hall, with three ranked bays, a low hipped roof with shed roofed front porch supported by six turned posts with brackets. Double hung sash windows are 1/1 and 2/2. A transom rests over the entry. The wide eave overhang is typical of the style. The rear two story gallery is glassed in. One offset chimney.
One contributing building
509 Fillmore St Harpers Ferry, WV 25425